In this discussion we will be talking about the Root Chakra.
Root Chakra Information
Sanskrit Name: muladhara
Physical Location: base of the spine
Gems/Minerals: Ruby, garnet, bloodstone, red jasper, black tourmaline, obsidian, moky quartz, Agate, Onyx, Hematite, Red Coral
Scents: Patchouli, cedar wood, lavender, musk, hyacinth, cinnamon, sandalwood.
Essential oils: Patchouli, cedar wood, sandalwood
Purposes: kinesthetic feelings, movement
Spiritual Lesson: material world lessons
Area of Body Governed: spinal column, kidneys, legs, feet, rectum, immune system
Blocked Root Chakra: When the root chakra is blocked there is an interruption in the flow of earth energy - your grounding and nutrition - so part of you will say, “what is the point of being here,” or “why am I here.” You will be in denial of life and life’s lessons. You will feel disconnected, rootless, alienated from others. You may have severe mood swings. Your ability to manifest will not flow. You will lack energy both physically and mentally to give you the boost you need to survive your life on earth. You will fear for your survival but lack the energy to do anything about it.
Over-active Root Chakra: You can be domineering, highly strung so that you have difficulty sleeping. You may become greedy, aggressive, sexually manipulative, reckless, impulsive, and see everything and everyone as a threat.
Under-active Root Chakra: You can appear weak, tired, lethargic, and overcautious. You will be afraid of change. You lack confidence, fear of being abandoned, harbor self-destructive tendencies and become disinterested in life.
A Balanced Root Chakra: When the root chakra is balanced you feel grounded, centered, and able to live in the here and now effortlessly. You feel alive with a strong connection to yourself and those around you. Your life is working on all levels, but even if there are areas that are not working you are confident that they will work out. You are healthy and want to take care of yourself, usually manifesting as an interest in your nutritional intake and physical exercise.
When the root chakra is balanced you are able to manifest an abundance of everything you need to survive.
Root Chakra Affirmations
1. I am willing to release all fears, worries and concerns about money, my career, safety, and protection.
2. I know that I am perfectly protected and that all my needs are met abundantly.
3. I am safe and secure at all times.
4. I am divinely protected and guided and my way is made smooth and easy.
5. I love my feet. They show me the way.
6. I love my legs. They give me support.
7. I am open to expanding my awareness of life.
8. I am willing to release all my old patterns of fear and insecurity to live with joy and well-being now.
9. I know that I belong. I know that I am safe.
10. People now support me in an easy and pleasurable way.
11. It is safe for me to enjoy my life now.
12. I am willing to be my own good mother and look after myself properly at all times.
13. I am responsible for the quality of my life.
14. I am open to new ideas, new thoughts, and new people in my life.
15. I am willing to consider the possibility that there are new approaches to enjoying
life which will enhance my sense of being alive and give me pleasure.
16. Life is good.
17. I trust life supports me in fulfilling my purpose.
18. I have a right to be me, just exactly as I am.
19. I have a right to express myself and manifest my dreams.
20. I can have pleasure.
21. I trust in the process of my life to unfold for my highest good and greatest joy.
22. I love my life just exactly the way it is.
23. I am free to make whatever changes are necessary for my future.
24. I can risk doing what I feel is right.
25. I am a life enhancer.
26. I am creating a healthy foundation on which creativity can flourish.
27. It is safe to me to be here.
28. The earth supports me and meets my needs.
29. I love my body and trust its wisdom.
30. I am interested in abundance.
31. I am here and I am real.
32. I trust my Higher Self fulfills all mu needs. My life is full of prosperity.
33. I am safe. I trust in the natural flow of life.
34. I trust my Higher Self to fulfill all my needs. My life is full of prosperity.
35. I know who I am and make choices based on what I know to be right for me.
36. I am supported in life through all my choices to do good and share the light of love.
37. My body supports me in living a creative and happy life.
38. I am open to the spirit of life, which carries me beyond my original limits to a higher, more creative space.
39. I am thankful for all the opportunities for growth and development that have come my way.
40. I am grateful for the challenges that have taught me who I truly am.
41. I love life.
Root Chakra Meditation~ taken from this website: http://www.alternativeculture.com/spirit/chakras.htm
by Lonny J. Brown, HHC from his book Enlightenment in Our Time: The Perennial Wisdom in the New Millennium
Take a deep breath and pull it down through your body to the very base of your spine, the seat of the first chakra. As you release the air, relax all the muscles in your toes, feet and legs. Take in more air and focus on your connecting point to the earth. Now release the air, .. relax down through your body, and continue to send your attention deep into the center of the earth. Picture magnetic lines of force coming from the earth's core, connecting with your own root center. Allow that force to arise within you, from below.
Imagine a feeling of power surging into this "root" center from the deep center of the earth. As it increases, keep your attention on this powerful magnetic energy at the bottom of your spine.
Focusing at the base of the spine, imagine that with each breath, energy collects and builds up there. Continue to relax, and sense the feelings in the coccyx, perineum, anus, and deep inside your pelvic cavity, the foundation of your body. Sensing your root center, breathe as if the earth's energy is coming directly into you from below. Allow the energy to build, like a growing, magnetic force.
Feel the weight of your attachment to the earth: its gravitational pull on your body, through the mass of rock.. dirt.. clay.. and minerals. Sense the huge mass of the planet under you, pulling you down towards dense earth. You are born of this earth, and when you die, your body will return to it.
Earth animal that you are, you eat of the earth and eliminate earth fertilizer. Your awareness is purely biological, immersed in life's ecological cycles. In the womb of creation, you are pulsating flesh, bound by living sinews and fibers. The dominant color is blood red. Smell your own odors. Feel the cool dirt.
Be aware of your pelvic area, legs, and feet. Feel the density of your bones, the core and support structure of your body, minerals taken up from the earth and deposited inside you, compacted by gravity, formed against the pull of the earth.
You are at the most primitive stage of evolution. Your behavior is animal-instinctual and reactive. You are motivated by survival drives, such as hunger and fear. You are isolated and fiercely individual. All you know of reality is physical and self--referent. Like an infant, you identify solely with the body, and exist in a sensory, material realm of stimulus and response. You experience yourself at the center of everything that happens. You love to eat and sleep. You fear pain, and death.
Your sole purpose is self-preservation. Persistent and self-sufficient, you can be greedy or aggressive. Allow yourself to acknowledge your "dark" side, and your potential for "small- mindedness," for it is the necessary lesson of this level of existence. Know yourself as an inheritor of animal instincts, and primitive tendencies. Fully accept that you are a creature of habits and needs, rooted in the earth.
Continuing to breathe in and out through your lowest nerve plexus, allow your body to begin to feel that you are in a safe place. Perhaps you feel secure and comfortable enough to let go of your protection.. to relax, and sigh. You could use the affirmation. "I belong on this earth." (repeat..) or "Here and now, I feel safe." (repeat..)
As your breath pulls up the Earth's energies, picture at your root center, a red square box, filled with dark, rich soil which is moist and cool. Inside, a coiled serpent is sleeping... Your task is to warm the environment, and so wake up the snake.
Grounding Technique ~ taken from this webpage: http://www.llewellynencyclopedia.com/article/252
Stand upright with your feet shoulder-width apart, toes slightly in. (Take your shoes off so you can feel the floor under you.) Press into your feet as if you were trying to push the floorboards apart between your feet. You will feel a solidity come into your legs as you do this. This comes from pushing down into your feet.
Once you can feel that solidity, you are ready to begin the exercise. Inhale deeply and bend your knees, letting your belly relax. Now exhale and push into your feet s-l-o-w-l-y, pushing as you did before and allowing your legs to slowly straighten. Do not let them straighten all the way, but bend them again and inhale as you go down into your legs. Push again against the floor as you exhale, pushing your energy downward through your body.
Do not completely straighten your legs, keep breathing, and move slowly. If you are doing this correctly, you will start to feel a slow vibration in your legs as you push against the floor. This vibration is the charge of energy moving through your legs and into your first chakra. It can be used to push out blocks, to increase your sense of contact with your body, or to simply make you feel awake and refreshed.
It is possible to get overcharged, however, so exercise caution in how long you keep this up. If you get overcharged and feel anxious, kick your feet into a pile of pillows, shake your body, or let out whatever feelings are arising.
Root Chakra Meditation Videos
Root Chakra Links
Root Chakra Grounding & Meditation Links