An Empath is a person who has an acute or highly developed sense of empathy. Empathy is the capability to share your feelings and understand another's emotion and feelings and is often characterized as the ability to "put oneself into another's shoes".
Energy is the capacity of a physical system to perform work. Energy exists in several forms such as heat, kinetic or mechanical energy, light, potential energy, electrical, or other forms.
Energy is a property or characteristic (or trait or aspect?) of matter that makes things happen, or, in the case of stored or potential energy, has the "potential" to make things happen.
1 a : dynamic quality
2 : vigorous exertion of power : effort
3 : a fundamental entity of nature that is transferred between parts of a system in the production of physical change within the system and usually regarded as the capacity for doing work
4 : usable power (as heat or electricity); also : the resources for producing such power
Prana is the notion of a vital, life-sustaining force of living beings and vital energy.
Prana is the life force or vital energy, which permeates the body and is especially concentrated along the midline in the chakras.
Prana is the life sustaining energy centered in the human brain; the first of the five airs of Ayurvedic philosophy; the life force governing inspiration and the conscious intellect.
Chi is the circulating life energy that in Chinese philosophy is thought to be inherent in all things; in traditional Chinese medicine the balance of negative and positive forms in the body is believed to be essential for good health.
Qi, which is another name for Chi, is the life-process or “flow” of energy that sustains living beings.
Psychic Energy is the subjective force responsible for causing change and motion in the noumenal world. Psychic energy, also called mental energy, includes such things as thinking, perceiving, and remembering.
So, if we take into account the definitions of energy, prana, chi (or qi), and psychic energy (or mental energy), we see that this kind of energy is our life force, which puts everything into action or motion from thinking, perceiving and remembering to how we react to the outside world.
Now imagine the expression of that energy in the context of emotions, which is in itself a reaction to the outside world, experiences both past and present, and interactions with others.
Expressing love becomes an expression of energy. Just as expressions of compassion, empathy, sympathy, pity, joy, hate, and every other emotion become expressions of energy.
They set actions into motion, whether it is passion, revenge, a close bond of friendship or love, or any other reaction toward the expressed emotional energy.
So what we are basically saying here, is that Emotional Energy is an expression of that life force energy, which exists within us all, though our emotional responses to the things we experience outside ourselves.
Emotional Energy & The Empath
As an Empath, or one with a highly developed sense of empathy and the ability to place oneself into another's shoes and share their emotional states, you are a highly tuned receptor to this type of Emotional Energy. But this also means you are a receptor of all other kinds of energies, as well. Your main focus, as an Empath, though, is Emotional Energy.
How does this work? Well, to understand this we must look at the types of energy manipulation available to the Empath. So lets take a quick look at the different types which are: emotional projection, emotional absorption, emotional introjection, and emotional energy transmutation.
Emotional Absorption occurs when one person takes in the emotional energy of another person. Depending on the person and their motivational intent, Emotional Absorption can act as a cloning mechanism or as an ability which steals away the emotional energy, leaving the other person without that emotion.
Emotional Introjection is an unconscious internalization of aspects of the world (especially aspects of persons) within the self in such a way that the internalized representation takes over the psychological functions of the external objects. It can also be defined as a psychological defense mechanism involving appropriation of an external happening and its assimilation by the personality, making it a part of the self. In basic terms, it means to take on the emotional traits of others. It can also be done physically, but we will leave that for another discussion.
Transmutation is the act of changing from one use or function or purpose to another. Emotional Energy Transmutation is the ability to assist in the transmutation of emotional energy within a single person or a group of people.
Emotional Energy & The Empath (cont.)
An Empath can use all of these abilities, simply by being a highly tuned receiver. So now lets look at the process that an Empath uses when working with others:
The Empathic Process
1. The Empath picks up on someone who has an issue or a problem, through the emotional energy they are expressing, even if they are not saying anything, because they are a highly tuned receiver of this type of energy. This is a form of absorption on the Empath's part and projection on the other person's part.
2. The Empath naturally reacts in a compassionate way, in order to set the person at ease in the Empath's presence. This is a form of projection. And by copying their mannerisms, facial movements, hand gestures, posture, and what not, it also becomes a form of introjection, in that the Empath takes on the characteristics of the other person.
3. The Empath then sets about finding the cause of the negative emotional energy. And the person, sensing someone who is willing to listen and help, opens up and shares their issues or problems. This is again, the Empath projecting to the other person that they are interested in listening and willing to help. And the projection of the issue, verbally, by the other person.
4. And as the other person speaks, the Empath begins to connect the dots, in that the emotion connects with the issue or problem. Thus they begin to absorb the other person's problems, emotional energy, and see through the other person's eyes.
5. The Empath begins to identify with this issue as though it were their own, based on their own experiences that closely relate to the other person's issue or problem, and help to find a resolution to the problem. And as they share this resolution, even if it is only calming words of comfort, emotional energy transmutation occurs, because the energy that was absorbed by the Empath is being transmuted into something much lighter, loving, and caring, which leaves the other person, if not with a resolution, then feeling like they are not alone and their feelings have been validated.
This is a multilayered process that is done on many different levels such as energy, verbal, non-verbal, physical, mental, emotional, and even spiritual. And its all based on the sharing and interaction of energy, Emotional Energy.