Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Kind Words..

I TAKE THE VOW
OF NON VIOLENCE IN MY THOUGHTS, MY SPEECH AND MY ACTIONS
After I affirmed nonviolence, some people thought my journey of non violence started right from that moment. But the real story is different.

I read the biography of Mahatma Gandhi when I was a teenager and I read many Hindu religious books which spoke of non violence. In Bhagavadgeetha, the holy scripture of Hindus, God himself said - (An Extract from His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada's Bhagavad-gita )
anudvega-karam vakyam
satyam priya-hitam ca yat
svadhyayabhyasanam caiva
van-mayam tapa ucyate
"Austerity of speech consists in speaking
words that are truthful, pleasing, beneficial,
and not agitating to others, and also in
regularly reciting Vedic literature."

  • The words you speak out should be suffused with Love (prema). Whatever we utter, it should be truthful and be in harmony with our thoughts (mind). "Satyam nasti Parodharmaha" is the Vedic enunciation, There is no truth other than Dharma, but it should be spoken sweetly. 
  • One should not utter something, even though it be truth, which will hurt others. That is why it is said in Bhagawad Gita "Anugveda KaramVakyam..." Your words should not injure the feelings of others..
  • Excitedly you should not talk nor should your words cause agitation in others. Your words should be filled with Love (Prema) and should be good and for the good of others.
  • No vehemence, no rhetoric, no harshness should be in your speech. Softness, gentleness, truthfulness and love should be the characteristics of what you speak. This is what is meant by austerity of speech. This should characterize whatever we speak and utter in our day-to-day life, from morning till night.
Though I went through all the books and heard many discourses which spoke of the importance of speech and how well and kind we should speak in our day to day lives. I was not the girl I am now. If I look into my past, I was a girl, who always wanted to be frank and straight forward and Miss reveal truth. And I was very pleased trying to sell my intelligence in words and actions. I thought I should represent what I am and thought  it was natural for people to find me intelligent because all I talk is sense. Now I know everything I was and my attention grabbing behavior was my insecurity, I also found that, in all that ignorance, I caused a lot of pain to others with my speech,actions and thoughts, ignoring the harm I did to myself.

So When did Miss Frank actually realized the importance of speech? And the answer to this question is .. When a woman as plain as your neighbor healed me by speaking just KIND to me. You may ask me, have you never heard any kind words in your whole life? I would say.. Yes never.. I might have heard them from my relatives, friends who had an intention to take advantage or manipulate or trying to fool me around or true discourses from intelligent species. But never from one person who really wanted to speak kindly just believing me and trying to help.

There is a lot of difference between sweet talk and talking kindly. You can never talk kindly to yourself or others,  if you are not capable of loving a person selflessly. Yes, there is a lot of difference. The intent to help others with selfless love and finding bliss in healing others is the magic that can heal the other person in need.

I met my angel over chatting on a website community and she spent with me hours and hours listening to my pains, troubles and real problems. I keep on throwing on her all my pains and she listened to me with all the patience and kindness and she never uttered an unkind word. We don't knew each other personally. And she never felt troubled with all the complaining I was doing. She believed me and her belief was true.

I stand today as a product of her belief. The shell of my pain, hurt and suffering broke with her selfless love and compassion and her each kind word brought the real person out of me. This butterfly you see now is a product of love and kindness. The burden of pain bent my back and people hated to see my hunchback. No one cared to heal me. Once in a while God blesses us with angels like the one who healed me. Just know that its time to make an effort to break the shell and come out and fly. I know such people are rare but trust me, pray God as many times you can to bless you with help. And you will get it, in one way or other and then remember me, All I want to say is, Make an effort and break that shell, you will be alright. And then again remember me, All I want to say is Give it back, Speak kind words and love selflessly it will come back to you again. If you think you did not receive that help till now.. Then too Love selflessly and speak kind words, the law of God is a law that is always same for any one. It will get back to you. I believe that.


This article is written with a message, I want to share. Make an effort to get out of the shell of pain, suffering and hurt. It is not always that we receive kindness and a helping hand. But when you receive it make an effort. And understand the importance of speaking kind words. Always and always speak kind, If some one is speaking unkindly, forgive them because it is the hurt and ignorance that is speaking not their true soul. Hang on.. it is just a while that they will break out of that shell. Help them by speaking kindly. You may not yet aware, you are a chosen angel in someone's life.

Love you a lot Angel.
You are blessed.

I took my Vow here
You can read His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada's Bhagavad-gita here
Image credits : Victoria  Schofield

1 comment: